You’ve set up your website, built your storefront, and started selling products. Now it’s time to learn how to accept credit card payments online.
Setting Up Your Gateway
To set up a gateway, you’ll need to log in to your Authorize.net account and access the Gateway Manager page. On this page, you will see all of the gateways that have been activated on your account along with their status and current settings. To add a new one, click “Add New Gateway” at the top right corner of this page:
To activate your gateway once it has been added to Authorize.net, simply select it from this list and click “Activate Selected Gateways”. This will take you back into setup mode where you can configure each payment method individually before activating them all at once again by clicking “Activate Selected Gateways” again
Getting Ready to Use Authorize.net
Authorize.net is a payment gateway that can be used to process credit card payments for your business. Authorize.net offers a variety of services, including:
- Accepting online and mobile payments
- Processing recurring billing transactions
- Offering fraud protection tools (like AVS and CVV2 check)
Authorize.net makes it easy to set up your account with them, so you don’t need any special skills or technical knowledge in order to get started using them as your payment processor!
Creating a New Merchant Account
You can create a merchant account and gateway account in the Authorize.net Dashboard.
- Create a Merchant Account: A merchant account is the main account that holds all of your business information, such as tax ID number and address. You will use this information when you set up your gateway accounts later on in this article.
- Create a Gateway Account: A gateway account is used by merchants to process credit card payments through Authorize.net’s payment processing service (this means it connects directly with them), which then sends money back to you via direct deposit or e-check transfer each month depending on what type of plan you select during signup time–more details about these options are provided below!
Connecting Authorize.net to Your Storefront
Once you have signed up for an Authorize.net account, it’s time to connect your storefront to the gateway. To do this:
- Click on the “Settings” tab at the top of your screen and select “Payment Gateways”.
- Click on “Add A New Gateway” in order to begin setting up a payment gateway with Authorize.net from within Shopify’s interface. This will open up a new window where you can enter some basic information about how you want credit card payments processed by Shopify (e-commerce platform). In this case we are using PayPal Express Checkout as our preferred method of accepting payment but there are other options available such as Stripe or Square if needed too!
Handling Orders and Authorize.net Error Messages
If the gateway goes down, you can typically expect that orders will not be processed and will be delayed. If this happens, we recommend contacting your merchant service provider for help with resolving the issue.
If your gateway has an error message that doesn’t resolve itself within 24 hours (for example, if it says “Gateway Not Responding”), check to make sure that all of your settings are correct before contacting us or your merchant service provider. Your IPN configuration may need to be updated in order for notifications from Authorize.net to reach Shopify’s server correctly; if so, follow these steps:
- Log into Shopify admin and navigate to Settings > Payment providers > Authorize Net
- Click ‘Edit’ next to “IPN Settings” on this page
Gettting started with gateway payments
To get started with gateway payments, you need to set up a gateway account and connect it to your store. Here’s how:
- Log in at [authorize.net](https://www2.authorize.net/signup/index?ref=wc_global).
- Select “Merchant Accounts” from the menu bar above and click “Get Started Now.”
- Fill out all of the required fields on this page (name, address, tax ID number), then click “Next Step.”
- Click “Create A Merchant Account” when prompted by AuthorizeNet; this will take you through several steps where you’ll enter information about yourself and authorize access for them to view your transactions (such as bank statements). Once complete, you should see something like this:
We hope this article has helped you understand how to set up your own Authorize.net gateway. The process isn’t too difficult, and it will allow you to accept payments from customers around the world in a variety of currencies.